Before buying a computer it is mandatory to check all its merits and drawbacks. It can be an annoying situation when you are buying an expensive laptop and you're unknown about all the facts. Today, there are several brands which promise to give their best shot in terms of performance and reliability. But still there are some essential factors to keep in mind like size, features, performance, durability, and more. Here are some very useful things to know before shopping for a laptop.
1) Operating System: Choosing an operating system is your own personal choice. Both Mac and Windows do the same thing, but they have different interface and performance. Mac is amazing with faster performance running multiple applications efficiently and crashes rarely. They are less vulnerable to viruses or other malwares. Windows OS also runs well and importantly it is more familiar for many people. If you're quite familiar with Windows then stick to it. But if you wish to learn something new, then go for the Mac.
2) System Memory: A system's memory plays a significant role in case of performance. Ensure your RAM keeps up a good performance level when you are using many applications simultaneously or watching multiple websites in different browsers. The more RAM, the faster your laptop will perform. Make sure your laptop gives you option to upgrade your RAM if required for more performance.
3) Processor: CPU is a chip inside a laptop which is considered as the brain of the computer where fast thinking (processing) happens. Go for the fastest processor that you can afford. Dual core processor will be fine if you're not running intensive, threaded applications regularly. But mainstream buyers can look for Intel's Core i3 or i5 processors which are quite advance. Centrino Core 2 Duo processor can give you a better performance at a good price. It will run more efficiently, with longer battery life and better wireless performance.
4) Hard Drive: It's a permanent storage in the laptop where you store all your files, photos, music, videos, documents, spreadsheets, applications, etc. If you often download and store movies and games on your computer, you need sufficient memory space. Make sure your hard drive holds at least 160 GB (163,840 megabytes). If your budget is a bit high, then more than 160 GB will be a better choice.
5) Keyboard and Touchpad: Apart from RAM, processor and hard drive, keyboard and touchpad are also the essential lookouts for a good laptop. You are going to use these two input devices most of the time. While you type, some keyboards flex or bounce under the pressure of your finger tips. It really feels unpleasant particularly while doing an important task. Check out for the best laptop having firm support underneath the entire keyboard structure. You can also go for a laptop having LED-backlit keyboard which can help you type in a dimly lit room. When it comes to touchpad, choose the one having excellent sensitivity and minimal lag. Make sure you can move cursor on the screen precisely along with your fingertip on the touchpad. Larger touchpad with buttons are generally good.
6) Screen & Audio System: It is quite difficult and expensive to change your laptop screen unlike desktop monitor, once purchased. So, look for the right resolution at the time of purchase. Cheaper screens are often invisible in outdoor light and become less useful for you. Clearly check how the laptop screen performs under sunlight. Get the right amount of pixels if it is required for your computer activities. You should also check the sound system before purchasing a laptop. Make sure the sound is quite audible and crystal clear. There are some advance models which comes with Intel's WiDi technology that helps you wireless stream video from your laptop to your HDTV.
7) Battery Performance: Most of the laptop battery comes with 1-year warranty. There are some organizations that claim a battery backup of 5 to 6hrs for their laptops. But most of the laptops can only sustain maximum up to 3hrs due to lack of actual back-up time. Make sure to get the right battery and check it after couple of days of usage. You can also extend the standard 1-year warranty by paying some extra bucks.
View more at http://www.systemactive.com.